As with a number of Paris monuments, the Place de la Concorde has seen many modifications over time. Conceived in 1748 to celebrate - of all things - Louis XV getting over an illness - it was only finally finished 24 years later, by which time the king was probably feeling much better. Ironically, two just two years later he died from smallpox.
Initially called Place de la Revolution, many people were guillotined here over the years including - famously - Marie-Antoinette in 1793.The obelisk that stands at the centre was given to France in 1831 by the then viceroy of Egypt. Over 3,000 years old, it was erected in front of a crowd of 200,000 people and marked the beginning of a ten-year transformation of the Place which would see the addition of the two now-famous fountains - recently renovated - and a series of monumental columns.Although full of traffic during the day, it’s at night that the Place de la Concorde impresses most. Illuminated, with its view up the Champs Elysees and the Eiffel Tower sparkling in the distance, there’s no place on earth quite as magical.