The Salle Gaveau dates from the very beginning of the 20th Century. In a specially built building, this concert hall with over 1,000 seats opened in 1907, specialised in chamber music. The auditorium is in the Italian style, meaning that the stage advances into the audience.
After having survived two World Wars, during which it was used for entertaining the troops, bankruptcy led to the venue being partly sold to an insurance company, and in 1963 the building was nearly transformed into... a car park.
However, two musician saved it from destruction, raising the funds to buy the building in 1976. In 1992 it became a listed building, but was in dire need of restoration. Happily, this was eventually made possible, with the help of an architect who had also helped with the restoration of the Paris opera house.
In 2001 the Salle Gaveau reopened completely renovated and is now a prestigious venue for classical music recitals and select concerts. Two other rooms, in the basement and on the fifth floor, are also available for private functions.
Metro 9, 13 :
Bus 22, 28, 32, 43, 52, 80, 83, 84, 93
from the until the